Forgotten Toothpaste and Ancient Paths

My wife is usually the toothpaste picker-upper, but this past week the task fell upon me. I stood in the grocery store for a good five minutes before I realized that I didn’t know what kind of toothpaste we used.
I brush my teeth at least twice a day and sometimes more. We’ve probably used the same brand for ten years, but I honestly could not picture the tube in my hand. I had forgotten! I finally picked up some Colgate, not really knowing if it was the “right” kind or not. Later, when we were settling down for the night, Laura confirmed that I had indeed purchased our family brand. I guess some part of me remembered!
I wonder how often God fits into this kinds of “toothpaste” experience. We’ve got the old bible verses, years of church attendance, and a lifetime of faith behind us. But every now and then it seems we just “forget.” It reminds me of a church sign I saw: “If God feels distant, guess who moved!” If we’re not careful, we build our own walls that block our memory and our ability to see faithfully. We begin to miss out on the Spirit’s work in our daily lives. We ignore a few blessings here and there. We’re blind to the bond of Christ between our brothers and sisters.
Our 2015 theme from this year’s ARP General Synod is “Fresh Insight from Ancient Paths.” This theme draws from Jeremiah 6:16,Ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls...”
There is much that life will offer us that is not life at all. There is plenty of counterfeit faith to go around. If we hold to the timeless truth of a Savior who is “the same yesterday and today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8) then we’ll be able to wade through changing tides in our search for solid ground. We can ask for the ancient paths and find rest.

Image Source: 7-themes.com

Popular Posts